You are not logged in.

Imperial Valet Timer Quit on me

Unregistered

Monday, August 11th 2008, 1:19pm

Just stopped turning

I have an Imperial Valet timer that I know is very old but it was in the house when we got here. Anyways, it has been working fine until just last week when it stopped going on. Usually if this happens it will work if I just hit the reset button and then set it manual and turn it to the zone. When I try to turn it to the zone now it does nothing. Usually it woud click one loud click and then a few little click while it moved then the water would go on. It is an 11 zone system but only 5 of them are being used. I am just curious before I have a ton of different people come give me quotes (none of whom have even heard of Imperial) is their a chance that it could be something easy or simple to fix on my own (actually my husband would do it). I know if they haven't even heard of the brand then their reccomendation would just be to replace the unit.

Oh...the day and time dial still are turning on thier own and keeping up with the correct day and time so I don't know if that helps anything.

Thanks so much for your help with this!

mrfixit

Monday, August 11th 2008, 3:16pm

Valet

Hi, the Imperial Valet has a series of motors, gears and switches. It's totally mechanical and repairable. Here's my insight though. You only need a 6 station controller. Todays controllers are much more versitle than the controller in question. The parts for the Valet wont be cheap and you'll still have a very old controller that will eventually need servicing again. If you think your husband is capable then maybe he should just install a new controller. Simple and not expensive at all. I recommend the Hunter line of controllers. Indoor get the SRC plus. Outdoor get the Pro-C. You'll have to go to an irrigation supply house or order it from this site. The home improvement stores don't carry many quality items when it comes to irrigation in my opinion.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/SearchResults.asp?Extensive_Search=N&Search=hunter+controller

Good luck!

Big Dog

Monday, August 11th 2008, 3:25pm

I agree with mrfixit, new timer, by the time to send it to be fixed you would probabily spend more then a new time will cost, and you still have an old timer

mooggirl1

Unregistered

Monday, August 11th 2008, 6:13pm

RE: Valet

Thanks so much for your help. I will look into it. I figured when I called around and no one had heard of an Imperial that they were pretty old....and with as much as I had to fiddle with it all the time anyways it would probably be better to just get the new one. Do you have a preference of Rainbird vs Hunter? Does one work better or last longer than the other?

Thanks again! :D

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 5:14am

There is a complication - a sprinkler system that uses an Imperial Valet controller might also use Imperial zone valves. If this is the case, you can't replace the old controller with an inexpensive one. Imperial valves draw too much current for any Hunter controller with the possible exception of their ICC model. Same with the Rainbird line, leaving only the ESP-8MC model as a possibility. Lesser controllers can 'see' the Imperial valves as short circuits.

You can obtain replacement motors and switches for the Imperial controllers. But not from Imperial, which was sold off and resold into limbo. The part number on the old motor is the key to getting a replacement.

Rate this thread