You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TCMilkman

Starting Member

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 12:09am

Split Zone/Valve

I inherited a sprinkler system with a purchased house (built in 1986). As far as we can tell, everything was still the originally installed items, with broken heads being replaced.

My current control unit is a Hunter ICC (just installed)
My current valve/zone count is 8.

The issue at hand is that I have one zone that covers some limited grass, including a 5'x40' strip between driveways, as well as all the garden areas. I would like to break off the garden heads in its own zone due to differing watering needs. The options I see are...
1) Add a new zone, but that would require another control module for the ICC (not impossible, but extra cost), not to mention a new valve, and wiring it back to the controller.
2) I could pull the set of 4-5 strip spray heads from the garden zone and include them in an existing zone of spray heads that is currently hitting grass, but I don't know what this would involve (re-wiring, plumbing, etc).

One complication would be the driveway. The other is that there is no map of the sprinkler system, so I have no idea where the valve(s) are located. The control is in the garage on the other side of the driveway.

I'd be interested in doing it myself, but if I call someone in, I like to speak with some level of knowledge of what is needed to be done.

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 7:42am

Until you know where the valves are, you are just going to be guessing about costs.

Can you add 4 or 5 spray heads doing the strip to another zone of sprays? Very unlikely.

Sunday, March 29th 2009, 7:46am

Check out the MP Rotator Nozzles. It gives you the ability to change a constant, fix sprayed head to a multi stream, rotating head (much like the style of the Toro 300). It will use less GPM and give you the ability to mix the heads on one zone without having to break apart, add zones, (all your concerns), etc.