You are not logged in.

mizzles

Unregistered

Thursday, April 23rd 2009, 2:03pm

Is having more rotors and spray heads always a GOOD thing?

I recently obtained 5 estimates for a sprinkler system for my front yard.

While 4 of the estimates had similar numbers for number of mist and rotors (28 and 7 on average), one of the estimates came back with 36 mist and 14 rotors! This estimate is only a few hundred dollars more than the others.

My question is - is it safe to assume I'm getting a "better deal" with the last guy because he's giving me more spray and rotor heads, or is it possible he's overdoing it? I mean is having more rotors always better or can it hurt?

Thanks

Miz

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 23rd 2009, 4:41pm

The real answer is that you want the right number of rotors and spray heads.

Too many MIGHT mean you're getting too much water on the ground too fast and therefore have lots of run-off. Too many may require so much water that the system doesn't function properly.

And you really have no idea simply based on numbers. It could be that the estimates with fewer rotors/sprays are attempting to cut corners and streatch the limits on coverage, while the one with more rotors/sprays is attempting to "do it right" and give the proper head-to-head spacing to provide adiquate coverage.

Of course, the ones doing it with fewer parts are actually the more knowledgable ones and they are the ones doing it right compared to the last guy is using more rotors/sprays to make up for his lack of experience and expertese.

So you could say it's a crap shot trying to just go by numbers.

Did the estimates provide any sort of a layout, a rough drawing of how they plan to lay things out? If so, you might be able to see if they are attempting to stretch the limits or if they are doing it adiquately.

Perhaps the best approach would be to attempt to layout some heads yourself and see how many you think the job needs to get proper head-to-head coverage. That might give you a better clue.

WAIT A MINUTE...

Here's perhaps the best idea. Contact the guy who said it was going to take 36/14 for the few hundred dollars more and ask him why his equipment estimate is out-of-line with multiple other estimates you've gotton. Just simply listening to him explain it (even if you don't understand all of it) can help you to discern if this guy is simply doing a better job and knows what he is talking about, or is he simply a good sales man that leaves you feeling like your getting a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Rate this thread