You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Lew

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 9:16am

Which heads to use

Hi all

I have approximately 400 feet of fenced yard connected to 2 sides of our hoeuse for our 2 St. Bernards. It has mostly natural grass with some cattle mix thrown in. The fence is 5' high with full length top rail. I am not looking for the manicured lawn look. Just dust control and keep some green alive. I want to run some pipe along the top rail of the fence and place sprinklers along the top of the fence rail controlled by individual valves to a given number of heads.

I have 1" PVC underground to the fence, and planned on running 3/4" and then 1/2" for the individual stations of heads. I am on a well and can maintain around 30- 40psi at 12gpm.

I was thinking impact type heads

What type, what spacing, and how many per station?

Thank You
Lew

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 5:17am

Don't use any 1/2 inch pipe - you don't have pressure to spare. Three Maxipaw impacts may be all you can manage, but try some, before you lay out the zones.

Lew

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 8:03am

Thank You for the reply. I will not use any 1/2". Good idea, I will run a test section before doing up the whole thing. I was hoping to get 3 - 4 heads per station, and hopfully about 20' throw.
Lew

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 4:11pm

The other thing to consider is that PVC does NOT like being exposed to the sun long term.

If you have to install PVC where it will be exposed to sun, you should paint it with a light-colored water based acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC.

http://www.ppfahome.org/pvc/faqpvc.html

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 3rd 2009, 10:50am

There is a grade of PVC intended for long outdoor exposures (UVR) but it might be cheaper to paint the standard stuff.

Rate this thread