You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

secutanudu

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 6:56am

Proper rotor height

I am planning my sprinkler system. My fron yard is on a hill, does that require that I get a higher sprinkler head? I just ordered all the supplies, including all hunter PGP and PGJ 4" heads. Are they supposed to be installed slightly angled on a hill?

I'd say my hill drops about 10-12 feet in elevation over a length of about 40 feet.

Thanks

debo

Sunday, May 24th 2009, 7:30pm

RE: Proper rotor height

I am planning my sprinkler system. My fron yard is on a hill, does that require that I get a higher sprinkler head? I just ordered all the supplies, including all hunter PGP and PGJ 4" heads. Are they supposed to be installed slightly angled on a hill?

I'd say my hill drops about 10-12 feet in elevation over a length of about 40 feet.

Thanks

Hunter has a good read on hill apps. Go there and search. I do not remember the link. PGP will work just fine

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 26th 2009, 8:17am

The fundimental thing I recall that irrigation books would say about irrigating a slope was that you wanted to install the sprinkler head perpendicular to the ground. The placement of the heads had to then take into account the fact that the head wasn't going to throw as far on the uphill side as the down hill side.

As for knowing how much of a difference... well as a DIY, I just take a direct measurement myself. Basically, rig a few parts together so that you can run a single sprinkler head with a garden hose, set the water strength to match what I would expect once everything was installed, and then try a direct measurement on the hill you plan to irrigate.

debo

Saturday, June 6th 2009, 3:32am

The fundimental thing I recall that irrigation books would say about irrigating a slope was that you wanted to install the sprinkler head perpendicular to the ground. The placement of the heads had to then take into account the fact that the head wasn't going to throw as far on the uphill side as the down hill side.

As for knowing how much of a difference... well as a DIY, I just take a direct measurement myself. Basically, rig a few parts together so that you can run a single sprinkler head with a garden hose, set the water strength to match what I would expect once everything was installed, and then try a direct measurement on the hill you plan to irrigate.

If you reads Hunters guide to slop installs you do not want the head 90 degree to the slop.You will kill throw, as you noted and have dry spots.

Again, read the paper. I just did a small lot of 20K feet. Easy and head to head is perfect. I love #8 on PGP. Important thing I would say is head angle and shorter spacing on hills.

For his drop, I would be sure to use CV on the heads.

secutanudu

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 5:43am

Thanks for the responses, guys. Sorry for my delay.

Rate this thread