You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jimellem

Sunday, July 5th 2009, 8:59pm

How to replace a valve T

Hello

Actually I know what is wrong. . . .but here goes. . .

I noticed a growing pool of water near my valve cluster on a PVC 3/4" 5-valve above ground anti-siphon sprinkler system. After digging down to the PVC a large root had created a crack in the PVC, so it appears I will have to repalce the "T" that conects the water line to the valve. Got the root out no problem, but now a more sinister prolem exists. . . .

The fool that orginally installed the sytem put all the valves very close togeteher. There is no give in the PVC so I don't know how to replace the "T." So I can't get one of those handy expanding replacement fittings since ther is no room. I don't really want to dig out all my valves. HELP!!

Is there a good way to get through this issue?? Thanks.

Jim
Chico, CA

mrfixit

Monday, July 6th 2009, 2:53am

New manifold

I wouldn't go so far as to call the guy who installed your valves a fool. Most manifolds are built with the tees fairly close together. It may be possible to jerry rig your manifold but I can't tell without a picture. I highly recommend you rebuild the entire manifold. Use the old manifold as a template. Make the new one above ground then install the whole thing all at once.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 6th 2009, 11:34am

In general, cracked manifolds from non-freeze-related causes are very uncommon. Lucky you. This is why you don't see them designed and constructed to allow piecemeal repairs.

jimellem

Monday, July 6th 2009, 12:10pm

Well that isn't good news. . . .but thanks.

I'll try to get a picture. Could I maybe use some flexi-pipe (polyethylene???) to solve this problem.

I hate having cottonwoods in my backyard!!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 7th 2009, 7:17pm

Pros rebuild this stuff on a regular basis, without anything more special than unions.