You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jnorris

Unregistered

Saturday, August 29th 2009, 10:42pm

Hunter HPV value manual bleed

I think this is a simple newbie question: I have some Hunter HPV values (with flow-control) and I am trying to determine how to "manually" open/trigger them. The valves say they have an internal bleed feature, but how to I trigger it? There is a flow-control knob on the top, but I think this is unrelated as this just controls the the flow, not the activation. Is this correct? The solenoid has directional markings on the top that says "on/off, 1/4 turn". What does this 1/4 turn do and is it related?

Thanks,
-Jeremy

jnorris

Unregistered

Saturday, August 29th 2009, 11:09pm

Ok, I just read this in the manual:

"For fast manual operation, a quick ΒΌ turn of the HPV solenoid allows the water to flow through the valve and out the sprinklers. No water leaks out into the valve box because of the internal manual bleed."

That's interesting. (As an aside, how does that work without spraying water into the box?). Secondly, is this considered a good mechanism (ie: to turn the solenoid to activate the valves manually)? It seems the HPV is a good quality top-of-the-line residential valves. Anyone else have opinions on other other brands top-of-the-line residential valves? Do they have the same manual activation technique (ie: turn the solenoid)? What are the pros and cons? What top-of-the-line residential valve do you recommend?

Thanks,
-Jeremy