You are not logged in.

Monday, December 21st 2009, 12:29pm

Hello, has anyone ever used the R. Co "Add-A-Zone" system?

Hello,
I have a five year old system in my yard and last week the main feed from the backflow (mounted out front next to the meter) and the station valves broke, and pumped about 250.00 worth of water on the ground. My system doesn't have a master valve so I want to add one, but my wiring has already been installed and would be nearly impossible to run another feed to the clock. I found this device which claims to be able to control two valves independently unlike the other types that just switch back and forth. It even mentions that the second feed can be used as a master valve so in that, I am to understand that both inputs and outputs can be hot at the same time but neither the vendor, nor the manufacturer can tell me for sure. Looking at the device, I can't tell how it works. It has a device that attaches to the clock, has a wire for two stations and the common. Goes down the existing two wires to a valve, and at that point you have another larger device that connects to the existing two station wires, then has four output wires, two for each valve. Does the part on the clock send out some sort of signal to the larger box telling it which or both outputs to latch? If this does what it says it really looks like a neat item. I tried to attach a PDF but couldn't reduce it small enough to attach so here is a link of the item:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Add-A-Zone-R-Co-Add-A-Zone-p/add-a-zone.htm

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
PS sorry, I see I probably should have put this in the valves and wiring forum.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jonjonbear" (Dec 21st 2009, 1:08pm)

mrfixit

Monday, December 21st 2009, 1:57pm

I've only installed one Add A Zone. That was many years ago and it's still working. Running a new wire for me is always a better option if possible. I did read the PDF. It does say it'll run a master valve. I can't figure out how though. You can't run two valves at the same time with the add a zone that I'm aware of. What I would do if i was you is, use the add a zone to run two sprinkler valves independently then use the extra hot wire from one of the valves to run the master valve.

http://sprinklertalk.com/manuals/add_a_zone/Add-A-Zone_manual.pdf

Monday, December 21st 2009, 2:09pm

I've only installed one Add A Zone. That was many years ago and it's still working. Running a new wire for me is always a better option if possible. I did read the PDF. It does say it'll run a master valve. I can't figure out how though. You can't run two valves at the same time with the add a zone that I'm aware of. What I would do if i was you is, use the add a zone to run two sprinkler valves independently then use the extra hot wire from one of the valves to run the master valve.

Hello Mr. Fixit,
I had actually thought about that but was hoping I could use the zone closest to the backflow shut off valves. They have installed all my valves separately in small round boxes. I have found three of the four and was hoping #four being close so I wouldn't have to run a wire trench so far but I cannot find that box(that is the zone covering the part of the yard the backflow box is). My St. Augustine has grown over the lids, it appears they installed them before they brought in the topsoil. But I may do it as you suggested to prevent messing it up. I too can't figure out how this thing works electronically and if it would handle running power down both leads on the adapter part at the same time without burning it up.
The gal at the company assured me it would work, but don't know if she really knew for sure. I think R. Co might have been handed over to someone else and the persons behind this product might be out of touch now.
Thanks for the advice,
John

mrfixit

Monday, December 21st 2009, 10:35pm

Option

You could make that valve battery operated to free up the wires. Hunter makes a fairly reliable one. Not my favorite option but it's an option.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 22nd 2009, 6:33am

There is an option available for any system using a controller where the output common isn't grounded. That is to employ earth ground for the master valve.

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 2:53pm

add a zone worked for master valve setup!

Hello Mr Fixit,
I just wanted to return and post my findings. I got the add a zone, and tried a dummy setup and by golly the two zones can be operated independently or at the same time. I have no idea how but it works. We were able to connect it to the zone closest to my in ground anti back flow device, came off of the back flow about a foot or two and added the master valve, wired everything up and it works. Only problem now, I paid too much attention to the "GPM" value of the new valve, then the pressure loss figures, so I have lost pressure so I think I am going to have to replace the valve. The current valve is a 1" and the 1.5 valves pass a lot more water with less pressure loss so might put one of those in there. Anyway hope this helps for someone else hoping to use one of these nifty devices.

John