You are not logged in.

azamsharp

Starting Member

Sunday, February 28th 2010, 8:35pm

Sprinkler System Loose Packing Stem Ball Valve Repair

Hi,

After posting on many forums I found that there is a leak/dripping in my sprinkler system. For the time being I have shut the water flow to the Sprinkler System. Here are some images:

Some people suggested that it is Loose Packing Stem Ball Valve. I have no idea what does that mean!! Does anyone has videos or articles or links on how to solve this dripping/leaking problem. If I call the repairman how much am I looking at $$? This happened because of cold weather.

Percy

Thursday, May 6th 2010, 6:09am

Ball valves control the water flow by using a rotating ball that has a hole through the middle of it. When the hole is lined up with the water flow the water passes straight through and when it is rotated at 90 degrees is blocks the flow.
It could be that what they are telling you is that there is space around the ball that is letting water leak regardless of the rotation of the ball. Have you tried replacing the valve? Although ball valves tend to last longer all irrigation equipment wears out in the end so perhaps that is what is at fault.