You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, April 3rd 2010, 8:01pm

Multiple Zones Running at Once

I have a 3 year old system. The problem is multiple zones run at the same time. When I run zone 3, zones 1-3 run. When I run zone 4, zones 1-4 run etc. This is not a programming issue because it also happens when manually running a single station.

The controller is a 9 station Hunter Pro-C. I ran the diagnostic routine and it reported no station errors. I also unplugged the power for a few hours (no battery installed) and then restored the power and tried again with no change. I then cleared the programs resetting the system to factory settings using the method in the manual and still have the same problem.

Any ideas before I pay a professional? If its the controller I can buy and install a new one myself.

mrfixit

Saturday, April 3rd 2010, 8:26pm

Here's three possibilities.

1. You're on a master valve and there's something wrong with valve number 1 so it runs anytime the line is pressurized.
2. The wires are crossed somewhere. Has anyone fiddled with the wiring or done any digging?

3. The number one wire is hooked up to the master valve terminal.

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 7:07am

Thanks for the tips!

In case it was not clear in my initial post, when I run a single station such as station 4, stations 1 through 4 all run. Not just stations 1 and 4.

There was some digging a couple of months ago near my system. My neighbor had a water leak and hired a plumber to repair it. It is possible the wires were effected in some way. I will check it out when I get a chance.

mrfixit

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 3:12pm

I highly suspect the plumber. Try this. At the controller disconnect the number 3 wire. Now run number 3. If only 3 puts out power then the wires are messed up. If anything else comes on then it's the controller. The wiring could be messed up at the valves or where the guy dug.

westflgator

Unregistered

Monday, April 4th 2011, 9:16am

I highly suspect the plumber. Try this. At the controller disconnect the number 3 wire. Now run number 3. If only 3 puts out power then the wires are messed up. If anything else comes on then it's the controller. The wiring could be messed up at the valves or where the guy dug.

I follow you line of reasoning but that is not necessarily true. I would be true if it is an electrical problem, but the problem may be that the system has sand or small lime stone, gravel etc in the lines that are not letting the control valves shut off properly. So when any zone is turned on that pressurizes the line any valve that is not closing properly will come on. I suspect that this is the problem.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, April 4th 2011, 12:28pm

This post is a year old....

He also stated it could be a stuck valve in his first response post. It could have been a number of things.

Rate this thread