You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

larbec

Monday, May 10th 2010, 6:09pm

Some sections will not work and others work too often

I just replaced my controller with a 12 zone Rainbird controller. Anyways....I have one zone that will not work in my back yard and I have one zone in the front that operates when I turn it to zone 3,4,6,8 and 9 (i think) What will cause this to operate in so many different zones? Do I have a bad control valve?

Thanks

mrfixit

Monday, May 10th 2010, 9:24pm

The wiring's messed up.

larbec

Wednesday, May 12th 2010, 3:30pm

how

How is my wiring messed up, please explain. I have the gray and blue wires going to a different terminal on the block. The red and white going to the control valve

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 13th 2010, 9:53am

If you aren't using color-coded cable(s) to connect the valves, then you could easily mess it all up.

`

To make an extreme example, imagine all the wires are the same color. You would have to mark the ends of every wire currently connected to the controller's outputs with a numbered tag. Then you would take resistance measurements from each wire to every other wire, one at a time, and write down the measured resistance value on a grid chart. That can be a lot of measurements (45 measurements for 10 wires) - but it will pinpoint which of the unknown wires is the common. Once you are certain of the common, you can work out the rest.

larbec

Sunday, June 6th 2010, 6:46pm

common

How do I know which line(s) is the common? Do I measure one of the 12 gray wires with the red lead and place the other black lead on the ground? Where do I place the leads to my measure and what am I measuring?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 7th 2010, 8:34am

Just follow the procedure given, and write down all the resistance measurements. It will become obvious which wire is the common.

larbec

Monday, June 7th 2010, 7:59pm

Thanks

I will try this and thanks.

Is there an easy way to find your valves in the ground? My home was built in the 70's and I am not sure they placed them all in a box...

Rate this thread