You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bfahle

Starting Member

Friday, May 14th 2010, 1:52pm

Old system not enough volts?

I'm working on an old system that has 24 volts at the panel, but by the time it gets through the old wire to the valve, it's down to 12 volts. I assume there is some loss on the line. If we trail a new line out to the valve, it clicks, but through the old line it doesn't. Should a valve work with less than full power, or do I need to go ahead and run the new wire?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 15th 2010, 9:57am

If you can install the new wire without too much grief, then go ahead and do it. Beats chasing down bad field wiring.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 1:30pm

If you're going to possibly go through the hassle of installing new wire, I would at least take the time to disconnect the wire from the controller and do an ohm test across all the wires. That might shine some light on what the problem is... especially if it's just one or two wires that have a problem and you've got enough extras to do some swapping around.

Also, before you switch out the wire, if you do have any extra wire already, then you might also do some more ohm reading as you disconnect the wire from the valves.