You are not logged in.

Daveh

Unregistered

Thursday, June 3rd 2010, 6:52pm

1" or 3/4" in-line valves

I'm wondering if there's any advantage (or worse any problems) by going with an 1" in-line valve if I'm planning to use a 3/4" Febco 765 PVB? My water source appears to be 3/4", thus my plan for the 3/4" PVB. The lines going to the sprinkler heads will be 3/4". Reason why I'm considering 1" valves is I'd like to us Hunter valves and can only find those in 1". I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 4th 2010, 7:22am

1-inch is the standard minimum size for zone valves.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, June 4th 2010, 9:44am

When speaking of valves and backflow preventers in a typical residential application, 1" vs. 3/4" typically doesn't make much of a difference because there's already opennings much smaller than even a 1/2" pipe the water is having to travel through to get through the device. So usually the desision between a 1" or 3/4" device is usually one of simplisity... which usually means matching your pipe size so you don't have to add step-up/down bushings, etc.

So as long as the specification of the device (such as min/max flow rates and pressure losses at the designed flow rate) meet your requirements, it doesn't matter which size device you use.

Daveh

Unregistered

Friday, June 4th 2010, 12:07pm

Thank you all for the response. Since the 1" valves are more common, I think I'll go with the 1" inline valves and step down to 3/4". Thanks!

Rate this thread