You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Daveh

Unregistered

Thursday, June 3rd 2010, 6:52pm

1" or 3/4" in-line valves

I'm wondering if there's any advantage (or worse any problems) by going with an 1" in-line valve if I'm planning to use a 3/4" Febco 765 PVB? My water source appears to be 3/4", thus my plan for the 3/4" PVB. The lines going to the sprinkler heads will be 3/4". Reason why I'm considering 1" valves is I'd like to us Hunter valves and can only find those in 1". I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 4th 2010, 7:22am

1-inch is the standard minimum size for zone valves.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, June 4th 2010, 9:44am

When speaking of valves and backflow preventers in a typical residential application, 1" vs. 3/4" typically doesn't make much of a difference because there's already opennings much smaller than even a 1/2" pipe the water is having to travel through to get through the device. So usually the desision between a 1" or 3/4" device is usually one of simplisity... which usually means matching your pipe size so you don't have to add step-up/down bushings, etc.

So as long as the specification of the device (such as min/max flow rates and pressure losses at the designed flow rate) meet your requirements, it doesn't matter which size device you use.

Daveh

Unregistered

Friday, June 4th 2010, 12:07pm

Thank you all for the response. Since the 1" valves are more common, I think I'll go with the 1" inline valves and step down to 3/4". Thanks!

Rate this thread