You are not logged in.

Grub

Thursday, July 31st 2003, 2:54pm

Hunter src controller hit by lightning

I went to my garage during a storm and a loud thunder clap scared me back inside. I later found the fuse blown in my Hunder SRC 9 zone controller. I put a new fuse in (first trying a 1 amp 250 v instead of the .75 a 125 v, then found a .75 a 250 v at radio shack). Same problem with either fuse. Zone 1 and 2 come on together and stay on. When I try to run one zone (zone 5) it comes on with the other 2 still on then shuts down.

Do I need a new controller or can it be fixed. It seems to operate fine otherwise as far as setting schedules, dates, times, and zones.

Question 2. I have 2 plastic green plates on the side of my yard covering something (valves?). One of these is seeping water constantly even when the system is off. Where would the shutoff valve for the irrigation system be normally? and how can I repair this leaking thing (Valve?).

thanks in advance
Grub

Warren

Thursday, July 31st 2003, 3:14pm

Grub,
I do not have the inside details on how the Hunter controller works, but most systems are very much the same.

The timer functions and settings are managed by an embeded controller. This controller is typically run using low voltage logic levels like 5 volts DC or 12 volts DC. They are also isolated from the valves using independent high current transistors.

Based on your information, either the high current transistors took the hit from the lightning and fused two zones together, or out underground somewhere two valve wires were fused together by the high current generated by the lightining strike.

The easy way to figure this out is to remove one of the wires from one of the two joined valves right at the controller and run the system.

If the second valve still comes on, then the wires are fused somewhere down the line. If the disconnected valve does not come on, then the short is most likley in the high current transistor module. Some of these are replaceable and some are not. I would check with Hunter.

Warren

Grub

Friday, August 1st 2003, 7:30am

Thanks a bunch. I'll check

Grub

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, August 1st 2003, 10:07am

WHere did you purchase the Hunter SRC.......? NOrmally if the controller is broken and you explain this happened because of lightning then the dealer is not allowed to take the controller back even if it is in warrenty.........you should replace the fuse with the one that the controller came with...... The ball valve to shut off the irrigation system is located where the water is connected to the main supply line. If the valves are leaking it is possible that there is a possbile crack in the pipe. Di you have the system properly winterized?? Let us know what you find?

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Rate this thread