You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nsusa

Thursday, July 1st 2010, 10:06am

Rattling Pipes on zone switch

Got a problem with a sprinkler system where the switch from zone #1 to zone #2 causes extremely heavy pipe rattling inside the house. This is happening in 9 out 10 runs.

I had noticed a leak between the valve for zone #1 and the house and replaced the valve and some PVC pipe pieces and stopped the leak on that side. There is a small leak behind the valve with minimal water dripping out when that zone is active. It does not (naturally) leak when the valve is closed. After I had replaced the valve and the piping it ran Ok with no rattling for 4 or 5 runs, but then the rattling returned. There is no leak before valve.

Not sure, but can the minor leak behind the valve be causing major pipe rattling? Sometimes the rattling is so bad, the water flow has to be completely stopped and then turned on again (all by hand) to have things calm down.

Zone 1 is the second from the left. The image was taken before the valve was replaced.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 8:28am

See if you can't find a way to reduce the flow on the zone - or install a valve with a flow control and throttle down the flow a bit. Leaks have nothing to do with this phenomenon

nsusa

Friday, July 2nd 2010, 12:14pm

Thanks. Do you think the solution like with the small blue hose is something that would do the trick (see picture above)? This was put in before I bought the house.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 3rd 2010, 7:31am

The system is over-drawing its own water supply - if you had valves with flow controls, you could experiment with them to find a 'maximum safe flow' and then try to rework the zones to match. No real easy solutions here - you are going to have to make up for deficiencies that were built into the system.

Rate this thread