You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

AlexinBouchard

Starting Member

Friday, July 9th 2010, 12:41am

One of the valve not popping up, but leaking water

Hi all,

I am glad to learn of this group.

I am a new home owner and am trying to be handy around the house.. I had the contractor to check on my sprinkler system, and it worked at the time. But suddenly, the one valve is not working-I asked him to close two of the sprinklers, but the other worked fine.

Then I found that there was a hidden sprinkler hed (buried in the grass) and I digged it out and replaced with a new sprinkler head and also added a new riser to be above the grass level. But turning on, it does not pop up and spray the water. I tried to turn on the head with the screw drive and knew it was on, but nothing.

Could someone guide me what else I need to look? In stead of calling the contractor again, I am trying to do it myself.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

S.

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Friday, July 9th 2010, 10:41am

RE: One of the valve not popping up, but leaking water

But suddenly, the one valve is not working-I asked him to close two of the sprinklers, but the other worked fine.

I don't understand your description of what the problem is. My understanding is: One valve is not working now. You had two heads shut off, but one is working fine. Sorry Alexin, you are a little confusing.

Then I found that there was a hidden sprinkler hed (buried in the grass) and I digged it out and replaced with a new sprinkler head and also added a new riser to be above the grass level. But turning on, it does not pop up and spray the water. I tried to turn on the head with the screw drive and knew it was on, but nothing.

You found an existing head that was buried. You dug it out and replaced it. I don't understand if you added an extension to the new sprinkler head, or if you added a new riser to the zone. Was there a reason that you didn't just raise the sprinkler head to get it to groung level? You said that you tried to turn on the head with a screw driver but nothing worked. What type of sprinkler head do you have? Very few heads can be turned and off with a screw driver.

Could someone guide me what else I need to look? In stead of calling the contractor again, I am trying to do it myself.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

S.

There could be a couple of thinks to look for. You don't tell us what kind of heads you have. Are they spray heads, or rotators? What make and model?

Did you get the valve that's not working fixed?

You could have dirt in your water. Do you have a filter? If you do, check your filter, it could be clogged.

They could have dirt or small rocks in the head from when the original head was buried and replaced. You could have a leak or break in the line. There could be a problem with the valve. We need more information to work with.

Your title also doesn't go along with your description of your problems. If I was going with your title alone, I would say that you have dirt or materiel in your valve and it's not letting the diaphram seat properly for the valve to shut off completly. - If that is what is happening when the system is off. If that is what's happening when the zone is on, then I would say that you have a leak or break in the line, or you have debris in the line and/or the head(s).

Like I said, we need more information on what is happening, and when it is happening.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fireguy97" (Jul 9th 2010, 10:49am)

Rate this thread