You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Gary M

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 8:54am

Destroyed control valve union

My sprinkler system was installed many years ago using 1/2 inch galvanized pipe. A sudden loss of pressure indicated to me a re-pipe was needed.

When attempting to remove the union base (connecting the pipe to the valve) from the galvanized pipe I crushed the union.

Is this a champion part or will any brass union work?

Thanks in advance

Gary M

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gary M" (Jul 11th 2010, 1:25pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 10:44am

Photo, please

Gary M

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 1:25pm

Photo

This union is at the base of the valve and is used to connect the valve with the pipe that continues on its way to the various sprinkler heads in the zone.

When I put a pipe wrench on it to remove it from the old galvanized pipe the pipe collapsed and with it went the union. The picture does not show the sleave that completes the union assembly when screwed onto the base of the valve

I just came back from the hardware and have learned that a normal brass union does not fit on the Chanpion valve so my question is can it be purchased from Champion with out buying a whole new valve?

Thanks, Gary M

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Gary M" (Jul 11th 2010, 2:53pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 5:56pm

Apparently you can get just that part. It's called a union ball. I would go to Ewing, Hydroscape or John Deere Irrigation.

Type "union ball" into the search box.
www.homefixitparts.com/searchbykeyword.php

Gary M

Monday, July 12th 2010, 8:18pm

Conclusion

Today I checked all the local suppliers and no one had the union ball.

I decided to just buy a union valve and use that union ball on my old valve only to fine out the new ones are differant then the old ones like mine.

So I sprung for the $60.00 and bought everything new from the ground up, 'nuff foolin' around!

Excuse me, I've got trenchin' to do. :)

Gary M

Rate this thread