You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

septicguy

Unregistered

Monday, July 19th 2010, 10:30am

Vacuum relief valves that burp water

I have a high tech septic system that uses essentially a sprinkler irrigation drip system for the leach field. (The effluent has been processed by a sophisticated filter system so that it is essentially water with a slight color and no smell). The field is uphill from a dosing tank and pump that puts water at 20 psi through a number of 1" lines with 2 gph emitters spaced every 2 feet. When the pump turns off, the entire field is supposed to drain back into the tank. To facilitate this, there are two vacuum relief valves --
see http://www.geoflow.com/wastewater/w_pdfs/PS%20Air%20Vacuum%20Relief%20pg%2052%20web.pdf
located at the high corners of the field that allow air into the system so that theoretically all water drains out of the drip lines.

The problem is that these valves burp water every time the pump comes on, which is inherent in the design. There is a ball that is pushed up by the water pressure, closing the air passage, but not before a slight amount of water escapes. In a freezing climate in the winter, the water freezes and eventually blocks the air passage. This causes the entire field to freeze because it stops draining properly -- bad.

Yes, I can heat tape the valves and insulate around them, which I plan on doing. However, there has got to be a better vacuum relief valve out there that does not burp. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, July 19th 2010, 9:18pm

Can you send a picture. You can send it privately or post it. I need to see what you have installed. If you are describing a Pressure Vacuum Breaker, or an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker. I really need to see what you have.

www.backflowinspector.com

Want to help

:thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 7:30am

Plumbing is not intended to function above ground in freezing weather

septicguy

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 7:37pm

Vacuum relief valves that burp water

Hi.Todd, I have a picture of my particular installation, but it's on my computer, not at a URL. The picture and spec for the relief valve is at http://www.geoflow.com/accessories_w.html. Click on "Air Vent". It is the 1" Air Vacuum Breaker.

WetBoots, I agree of course. I don't like this design either, but I'm stuck with it and am trying to make it work. The top of the relief valve is buried several inches below the surface of the ground in a (to be insulated) sprinkler valve box. I'm going to heat tape it as well. However, it seems to me that someone out there must have developed a vaccum breaker that doesn't "burp" water. This is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 20th 2010, 7:50pm

There is a spill proof Vacuum Breaker. This is an option. I am not sure about the application. You need to check with your local septic people and city codes. I am only suggesting that there is a Pressure Vacuum Breaker that does not vent water some times called an SVB Spill proof Vacuum Breaker.

Again not sure about Septic application.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

septicguy

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 12:14am

Thanks Hi.Todd, I'll check it out.

Scott

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 21st 2010, 9:06am

Vacuum breakers are never ever ever located below grade. If you can't supply power for heat, then you have a construction job ahead of you.

Rate this thread