You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

toomuch

Wednesday, August 11th 2010, 11:50am

A basic question

My pop just received a bid to run a very simple irrigation system with
ONLY 2 zones 1 for the grass and 1 for a small bed of flowers. It would
be supplied by a small Goulds .75hp pump which draws from the lake....He
is used it for years, but now wants the sprinklers lines buried etc vs
having to haul hoses around the yard and adjust the sprinkler location

The irrigation guy came out I believe said all that would be be needed
would be 2 solenoid valves and I believe a pump start relay.

He does not have a pressure tank..its simply just a a pump.

I know there are several ways etc to set these up with a pressure tank etc. But he doesnt need a hose or anything along those lines....All he needs is the pump to turn and off and a set time and alternate watering between these two zones.

I'm wondering what if for some reason the solenoid valves failed to open or got stuck and the pump turns on I assume this would be very bad and it would deadhead or overheat and self destruct. Perhaps I'm missing something and this would never happen?

However, I'm wondering if its prudent to have something like a pressure relief valve added or temp sensor kill switch or some other dervice . I don't want to risk the pump deadheading or overheating. Do all installers setup irrigation systems in way to avoid this? If not what specifically should he be requesting to avoid this

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 11th 2010, 5:55pm

Your concerns are justified. A vast majority of sprinkler systems supplied by pumps are controlled by relays, without a whole lot of consideration for what happens when a valve doesn't open when it should. A relief valve can be installed, but it would never hurt to trade in the pump relay for a pressure tank (they can be very small) and a standard pressure switch, with a relief valve backing up.

toomuch

Wednesday, August 11th 2010, 6:31pm

Your concerns are justified. A vast majority of sprinkler systems supplied by pumps are controlled by relays, without a whole lot of consideration for what happens when a valve doesn't open when it should. A relief valve can be installed, but it would never hurt to trade in the pump relay for a pressure tank (they can be very small) and a standard pressure switch, with a relief valve backing up.

Boots

From the sounds of it these pressure release valves are fairly inexpensive and sounds like they are the cheap insurance he needs. I have read several of your posts in the past and know your a proponent of the pressure tanks etc. But am curious would a pressure release valve be all that he would need as means to prevent deadheading if he simply just has a vanilla pump?

If so is this something the installer "should be" able to add on?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 12th 2010, 11:43am

I don't place a lot of faith in a pressure relief valve being the solution for an above-ground pump. That's because the pump may not be capable of pressure much beyond what the sprinklers will be running at, which means the relief valve won't open fully, or even open at all.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, August 13th 2010, 8:01pm

.75 horsepower pump out of a lake sounds kind of wimpy. What is up?

You may also want to use scrubber valves.

Good Luck

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Rate this thread