You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jack N

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 7:22pm

Switching brands

I've gotten tired of fiddling with, and replacing the Toro Super 700 heads in my system so I've decided to switch to a different brand. I'll be replacing them as they break down - I currently have 3 heads that need replacing. I've decided to use the Hunter I-20. It looks like this should be a step up in both durability and user-friendliness. I have two questions. 1) Is the optional stainless steel covering on the pop-up worth the extra few dollars, or is it there mainly for looks? The Hunter advertising claims that it increases seal life. 2) A check valve comes standard and I'm wondering if it affects the performance at the nozzle. Would I be better off ordering them without the check valve? My yard is reasonably flat so I really don't see any advantage to having them if it affects performance.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 8:58pm

go plastic, no check valve.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Jack N

Friday, August 20th 2010, 1:05am

Ok. Why the plastic over the stainless?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 20th 2010, 7:43am

Super700 heads are shorter than currently popular heads, so replacing a 700 with, say, a PGP, involves more work. Maybe a lot more work.

Jack N

Friday, August 20th 2010, 12:27pm

That's ok. I planned on installing swing joints any way so I can go to the 6" I-20.

Do you prefer plastic over stainless as well? Why or why not?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 11:29am

As a sprinkler contractor, i love plastic. i have not specified stainless unless a landscape architects insists on it. I have never said to my self, "I should have gone Stainless". Extra dollars for 0 return on extra cost. Stainless does not affect the distribution of water. I am more concerned with hydraulic's, zoning, and scheduling.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Jack N

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 7:18am

Ok. Thanks.

Rate this thread