You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

beanpole

Saturday, August 21st 2010, 10:20pm

Hunter ICC-lightning strike-No AC

Electrical storm passed. Controller display screen is blank. I have 120 vac at breaker box and 120 vac at terminal strip in junction box. I could not get a 120 vac reading at output of transformer (two yellow wires and green wire) Bought new transformer from Hunter on the internet, put in new 9 volt battery, still blank screen. Should I have 120 vac or only 24 vac. Is the problem with the power module? A couple years ago a lightning strike wiped out our submerisble well pump, or anyway so we were told and paid for a new installation for one. (6 inch well) The person that installed the irrigation system was not dependable and lives about 60 miles away. He doesn't even return calls. We live in a rural area and there are no irrigation people in the area. I would appreciate any help and or advice I can get. We just seeded some large areas and covered them with straw and need to get the system working again. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 6:42am

Transformers rated for 24 VAC should give you a reading of 28-30 volts AC on the output. The ICC should show some life with a fresh backup battery in it. If not, wave bye-bye to it and buy a new one. If you are in a lightning-prone area, you might look for an electro-mechanical controller, if any are still to be found in these modern times.

beanpole

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 8:01am

Wet Boots: Thank you very much for your timely response to my previous question. I have a few more questions for you. I read where other people and responders are talking about checking for fuses. Does the ICC have a fuse inside the controller face? Also, the transformer has a brown wire for the 230 vac. When I hook up the green, blue, black wire from the transformer do I also hook up the brown wire to the terminal post or just cap it off. If I hook up the brown wire will it destroy anything? Is that electro-mechanical controller the only thing I can get or do to protect our system from lightning strikes? Do you think that the lightning didn't ruin the transformer, just the controller itself? Will a lightning strike actually destroy a submersible well pump 148 feet down without burning out a controller? Will a burned out controller show charred wiring or plastic, etc.? Guess that's all for now. Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Bill

mrfixit

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 11:57am

This might help you out. Click on this link. At the top where it says "find", type in key words. Surge, brown, reset are good words to search for. This is your owners manual. It will answer quite a few of your questions.

www.hunterindustries.com/Resources/PDFs/Owners_Manuals/Domestic/lit237w.pdf

------

Since you live in the middle of nowhere here's a link that may interest you.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Default.asp

beanpole

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 6:07am

Mrfixit: Thanks for the tip about the website. I have the owners manual but it gives no information about troubleshooting that will really give any insight into what to try or do. It doesn't say anything about lightning strikes, fuses or anything. I googled some of the information but not all. There is a website, www.franklinaid that tells about lightning strikes and about a lightning arrestor that will help. Have a good day. Bill :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 12:57pm

There is no troubleshooting for a controller gone blank.