You are not logged in.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 3:15pm

Glue or screw?

I think I've finally settled on Hunter PGV-101 valves. I just can't decide whether to glue them or screw them to the manifold. The manifold will be 1" Sched 40 PVC. I trust the glue better than threaded schedule 40 PVC. It seems the guts of the valve can be ripped out and replaced if needed. Wondering what everyone else does for their installs.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, August 27th 2010, 5:07pm

I like to slip it in. In my opinion threads are a vulnerable place for leaks, over-tightening, or badly worked silicone. If you use the liquid cement or solvent after you prime and glue, push it all the way in and then turn the pipe a 1/4 turn to seal well. Also hold it in place for 30 seconds or so to prevent slippage.

8o :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 7:24am

Thanks. Kind of bummed that I can't find this valve with a slip on one side and a 1" barb on the other since my zones will be 1" poly.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 8:55am

You can probably find an adapter to slip into the discharge side of the Valve.

Check it out.

:thumbsup: :thumbup: 8o

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 11:26am

This is a question that gets answered differently depending on the location. In poly-pipe territory, it's almost never slip valves. Besides, never underestimate the value of being able to remove and replace a valve, while leaving the rest of a valve manifold as is.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 11:37am

I understand the regional thing.
I don't have much poly experience.

Good call :thumbup: 8o :thumbsup:

Rate this thread