You are not logged in.

jaysteeler

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 2:38am

Valve Size

I have just recently purchased a house and it has a sprinkler system in it. I decided to check it out and found out they have way to many sprinklers in the yard and it was a mess....anyways....I have got it the way I want it when and then as I have been looking for wich valve to use I found out that the pipe size that the prior owners used, which is 1.25 inch pvc, is an uncommon size, just to add the the headache caused by the mess that I had to fix from their sprinkler system job. So the question is, they are using 1.25 inch pipe coming from the well pump to each of the zones and I dont know what i should do about choosing the right valve for the job....I want a good inline valve and I have come to the conclusion that I might have to either use a 1 inch with reducers or a 1.5 inch with reducers for my 1.25 inch. The previous owners had no timer or electronic valves and this is very important to me. I don't want to run new pipe to my zones after the hell that i've been through. So, I want to know to maintain the best water pressure should I go with the larger valve or the smaller keeping in mind that I am using a well pump. PLease, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 7:09am

I would go with a 1" valve up to 20 gallons per minute. The 1.25 pipe although may be an inconvenient size to deal with was probably done for good reason. The longer distances that the water travels through the pipe will cause it to loose pressure or gain friction loss. The larger pipe will minimize this, but you will have to reducer bush down to 1".

Good Luck. :thumbsup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 7:20pm

Step one is to figure out what your flow is. What valves are currently in use?

jaysteeler

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 9:21pm

valve size

the valves in place are just plain pvc ball valves....the water pressure was done with buckets and we calculated about 35gpm....it seems to be very strong flow from the pump cuz i tried to open up both zones 1 and 2, they contain 9 larger rotars with 2gpm nozzels and 5 pop ups with 1.5 nozzeles and the pump sounds even quieter that with just 1 zone on...but some of the zones are going far out and as they get closer to the zone they shrink to 1 inch....i was just wondering if it would be a better idea to go with the 1 inch or the 1.5 since it does have a strong flow...not niagra strength or nothing but strong....i think i'm gonna try the 1 inch reducer and see how that works and go from there....thanks for the advice...I was personnaly thinking 1 inch but wanted to see if anyone else shared that thought....

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 8th 2010, 7:29am

So far, If You open up 1 zone at a time you have described less than 20 gallons per minute. 1" valves are designed for 20 gallons per minute and below.

Just do it 1".

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: