You are not logged in.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Saturday, October 2nd 2010, 9:10am

Manifold box height

I'm installing a jumbo size valve box that will hold four valves. I'm just wondering whether I should install it flush to grade or maybe a half inch or so above it. I'm going to compact the soil underneath it and use some crushed stone under it to keep it from settling too much. Just wondering what the rule of thumb usually is.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 2nd 2010, 10:31am

A little high is always better than a little low. You want the box to be flush with the ground, but years of lawnmowers running over them and ground settling usually pushes the boxes down. Start a little high, 1/4" or so.

Make sure the bottom of the box isn't resting on any of the pipes. Notch out the box, if it is, so there is no pressure put on the pipes.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 9:40am

Hopefully you are installing a full-height valve box, and not one of the cheapies

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 6:44pm

Thanks Central.

Boots, it's an NDS box. Hopefully, that's one of the better brands. It seems very sturdy. I weigh about 260 and bounced on it with the lid on and it didn't flex at all. I think it's about 16" tall. Even with 4" of crushed stone in the bottom I still have plenty of height for 5 Hunter PGV valves. I just buried it today and I actually managed to get it about a 1/4" above grade on my first try.

mowinman

Monday, October 25th 2010, 8:33am

Another suggestion I can add is to put landscape fabric under the valves, after placing the box, trim to size and duct tape it to the sides of the box. Then add the stone. This helps prevent dirt from filling the valve box. Bury ad leave 1 inch exposed.

debo

Saturday, January 8th 2011, 9:07pm

I just take a VB from HD, for example and install at what height is around it (grass ,mulch etc)..Also there are not "cheapies" in valve boxes...Not to hard here folks. Do not make it out more complex then needed.

mrfixit

Sunday, January 9th 2011, 2:09am

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.