You are not logged in.

gbull7863

Starting Member

Monday, October 18th 2010, 3:10pm

Rainbird Esp-6tm system troubleshooting "PR OFF" message and blow fuses

I bought this house about a year ago. The sprinkler system was already installed so It's probably 9 years old.
Everything was working great till a couple of days ago when I started getting "PR OFF" message.
I replace fuse and battery. the fuse blows as soon as station 3 starts. I disconnected the station 3 wire from the flip strip and all other stations work fine. From reading these forums it seems I have a solenoid problem.
Question... what is a solenoid and where is it located? I cannot find a complete diagram of a sprinkler system so I'm working in the blind.
Can anyone give me some guidance on how to fix this problem?
thanks

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, October 18th 2010, 5:24pm

The selonoid is located on the zone valve. It will have two wires protruding from it.

The valve will either be located in the ground (hopefully in a valve box) or up against the foundation of the house...depending on your particular layout.

mowinman

Monday, October 25th 2010, 8:27am

Blown Fuse zone 3

Several things are possibilities, generally when a solenoid goes bad, it does not cause a fuse to blow, it usually stops at that zone and an error message displays. Check to see if zone 3 operates normally with the wire disconnected at the controller, if it does, there is a short, if not it is in the controller. In my experience, I have found that some digging in the yard was done and cut or exposed a wire in the ground. If it is located with other buried wires, near the house meter, the exposed wire can pick up leaking voltage from others in the area. It will be a matter of tracing the wire to the valve. In rare cases though, it can be the solenoid shorted. Good Luck.

Rate this thread