You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Murphy

Thursday, August 21st 2003, 7:13am

Poly to house?

Is it possible I have a poly water main run to my house? On the front of the house where the main comes in the basement, there is a poly pipe run up through the ground to tap into for spinklers.

How do I connect PVC to the poly pipe? I don't want to use poly connected to my anti-siphon valves.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 21st 2003, 7:38am

Thats weird that the main is poly hose.....to switch from poly to PVC is very simple... Depending on wether you have a 3/4" pr 1" poly line, you will need to insert a (1" is used in my example of course you will have to change for other sizes) 1" insert tee, a short piece of poly, and then a 1" poly female adapter.....sccrew in a 1" PVC male adapter and run your PVC from there.... Make sure that you run you PVC as 1" regardless of the poly size coming into your house. Also i recommend double clamping the connections that are poly....because they are under pressure....BTW are you sure it is black poly hose??
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 21st 2003, 9:43am

Wait you are not saying that you have a poly main line but that someone has already tapped your main and ran poly to the outside. Correct? If that is the case then get a female poly adapter and insert it into the poly then a pvc adapter that connects to it and run pvc from there.
Thanks,

Pete

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 21st 2003, 11:30am

Exactly!
Thanks
Ray

Murphy

Friday, August 22nd 2003, 8:00am

Is the poly to PVC adapter going to reduce the flow to my valves?

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, August 22nd 2003, 8:04am

No...not at all its simply just changing one pipe type to the next. Insert a poly Female adapter into the poly pipe thats capped, and screw in a PVC male adapter and then you are transferred to PVC. Make sure to use the teflon on the threads, and make sure that the PVC is one inch...what is the Poly size now?
Thanks
Ray

Murphy

Friday, August 22nd 2003, 9:42am

I haven't taken an exact measurement as we are moving in this weekend. But, it apears to be 1 inch.

The interesting thing is in the basement there is a ball valve shutoff connected to 1" copper pipe that looks like it exits the foundation right where this poly pipe comes out in the front yard. Maybe my house main runs in copper to the basement and then poly to the outside?

Is the poly pipe strong enough to use for mainline to the valves. In my previous houses I have always used Schedule 40 1 inch PVC.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 23rd 2003, 7:32am

Poly pipe is definatly not strong enough to be used for the mainline, at all..If there is a copper pipe inside, then i would use that to tap into for the sprinklers...if there is one inch poly, and you want to use that simply change it to PVC pipe..and use that to go to your valves. What products are you thinking of using for this install?
Thanks
Ray

Murphy

Saturday, August 23rd 2003, 9:55am

I think I am going to dig down along the basement wall and find out if I can tap into the copper instead of using the poly.

I am using Rainbird Anti-Siphon 1" valves and a Hunter Pro C controller with Hunter I-20 Stainless Steel Rotors. Just purchased these from Sprinkler Warehouse. After I get the main zones in I will be trying to install my first drip system for the shrubs and trees.

My new yard is very sandy and I thought the stainless risers would help. It should be fun because the property has no grass or any shrubs or trees yet so...I am starting with a clean slate.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 23rd 2003, 4:33pm

Sounds awesome....nice choice of products...let me know what you find along the basement wall as far as copper instead of using the poly.
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread