You are not logged in.

Waz52

Monday, November 15th 2010, 11:11pm

Too much pressure

Hi, newbie here, we have just had a bore installed, submersable pump, and when I ran a cycle it blew a cpl of sprinklers, can I join two stations to come on at the same time via Controller, hoping that will stop blowing Heads, at least until I add extra piping to existing station, want to run piping to the side of the home and to the back, no lawn, just gardens, have a pool and 30x20 shed, hence no lawn except at the side which I want to reticulate off an existing station, hoping that the extra sprinklers will drop the pressure. For now though I am hoping there is a way of just making two stations come on via Controller, do I just take wire out and join it at the controller.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 10:50am

That may work, but it sounds like not much thought was put into the sizing of the pump and this is a critical part of the design process. There are very powerful pumps that you won't be able to put on a residential system. The life of a pump and sprinkler valves and piping depend on velocity of water through the pipe and pressure on the valves and If you don't figure it in correctly the system that should last 20 years will not last a season.

Long sentence.

Try adding up your gallons per minute per zone and getting a pump to deliver that at the appropriate pressure + elevation and distance from the pump.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Waz52

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 12:25am

Pump

Thanks for the reply, will do as suggested.
Waz

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 9:22am

If too much pressure is the problem, running multiple zones isn't likely to fix the problem. The pressure should remain about the same and only the flow will increase.

Think of it this way, plumbing and electricity are similar: Pipes are the wires, water flow is the current, and pressure is the voltage.

If the power company is supplying too much voltage to your house, turning on more lights isn't going to fix the problem. The source voltage will remain the same, you're just increasing your amperage.

Of course that's not 100% correct, because there is some voltage loss in wires when current flows through them... think of the situation where bathroom lights dim just a little bit when you run a hair dryer (the hair dryer pulling 15 amps will cause the wiring to the bathroom to have about a 2 volt drop from the resistance of the wire. You will get a similar thing happening in the plumbing... the pipe that supplies both valves would have increased water flow, resulting in more friction (pressure) losses as the water flows through the pipe.

So if replacing the pumb isn't an option, then it sounds like to me you just need a pressure regulator. For any irrigation project, if the source pressure is about 80psi or higher, you should be using a pressure regulator.