You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

santan

Starting Member

Friday, December 17th 2010, 9:41pm

drip system

:D a contractor wants to install funny pipe (thick tubing) as my main line and will punch button drips into the main funny pipe and then run 1/4 inch to plants. system is about 200 feet with 25 plants .. button drips allow 1 gallon per hour..any comments from any professionals out there..ive nevr seen this thick funny pipe used as main line here in arizona for drip line..i have seen it used for short swing pipe fittings thanks the captain

pass1

Friday, December 17th 2010, 10:23pm

Funny pipe was not intended for use as a drip zone supply line.

if he is a professional contractor he would be using the tubing that is made by various companies for a drip supply as you described.
the cost per 100' feet of this tubing is very minimal. Besides, I doubt that the barb fittings that are used for the "spaghetti" tubing will fit correctly in the funny pipe as its wall is so much thicker than the tubing normally used for this application. Just do it right and be done with it!

'

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 19th 2010, 2:45pm

You can actually flow more water through the actual drip tubing than you can through funny pipe. If you ever wanted to tap off for more plants, the extra water would come in handy. You can make funny pipe work as drip line (I've had to do it in a pinch). Funny pipe is more durable than the drip tubing. Being that you don't live in a freeze and thaw climate, I would insist on the drip tubing. It will make buying repair parts easier if you ever wanted to DIY.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, December 20th 2010, 8:47am

In Arizona, you would be better off using PVC pipe and grouped emitter outlets, so that there isn't any poly tubibg carrying an unregulated flow of water.

The reason for this is that, in the desert climates, animals have some ability to sense the presence of water in a poly pipe, and can gnaw holes to get to that water. PVC pipe, for some reason, doesn't suffer the attacks that poly pipe can.

Rate this thread