You are not logged in.

Sam

Starting Member

Tuesday, March 22nd 2011, 5:12pm

All zones open at same time

I have an 11 year old system. It has an antisyphon valve with a single solenoid wired to a mechanical timer (the one with time and day wheels that are set with pull up pins), and the antisyphon valve goes to a mechanical index valve to open and close each of 3 zones (it is a four zone valve with a 3 zone cam).
It worked fine until last month when the timer bit the dust. I replaced that timer with an Orbit digital controller. Thats when my problem started (it just might be coincidental).
I installed the controller, tested and it controlled the 3 zones. When I ran another test the first zone didn't open, however all 3 zones opened and when that cycle ended the controller shut off. Another test and worked fine, but one more test and all 3 zones again started.at the same time, and so on and so on, etc, etc.
Is this a problem with the index valve, and can it be repaired? I have opened the valve several times and tried to clean (it wasn't dirty or clogged), and reseat the seal. I haven't had much success so far. ?(
Thanks for any imput,Sam

mrfixit

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 2:27am

I have zero experience with an indexing valve. I've never seen one installed. I've never taken one apart. I do have three new ones sitting on a shelf. That my expertise. There is a member of this forum, Bill Painter. I haven't seen him on here for a while. He knows about indexing valves. Here's a link to his site. He does carry some repair parts. You can email him for more info.

http://members.cox.net/tismaz/billtism.htm
You'll have to cut and paste the link into the address bar for it to work.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 10:59pm

Sam,

If Bill isn't responsive I know a guy too.

I don't have any experience either. I understand the concept , just no real life field work on them ( only dealt with one system a few years back)

There is a guy on another forum that is from the south that 90% of what he deals with is indexing valves
His user name is Buck_Wheat on lawnsite.com, shoot him a message http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=109581 , there is a irrigation forum. Though it's mainly for irrigation pro/ companies and not for homeowners.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 24th 2011, 7:36am

Owners of indexing valves need to be able to disassemble and reassemble them. The replacement controller being used here may not have sufficient off-time between zones. The supply pressure has to drop to zero and stay there long enough for the internal mechanism to move into position for the next zone.