You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Cormac

Unregistered

Friday, March 25th 2011, 7:58am

Broken pipe under patio slab

Is there an easy way to replace/repair a broken 1" PVC pipe that is under a patio slab. The pipe exits a wall so I could "pull" it out that way. The break (I'm guessing) is about 15' under but...right next to an 3-4' circular opening for a tree. The break I estimate is a few feet under the slab. I gues the idea I have is to attach a new pipe to the broken pipe and hopefully pull/slide it out. As one comes out the new pipoe replaces it. I am guessing this won't be easy and figure I may have to tap/hammer one end and pull from the other. I only have two sprinkler heads on the end of that run so I was even thinking I could go to a 3/4" replacement pipe if I had to. I would however like to replace with the same 1" pipe. Questions are: Is this even possible? What are the tricks to doing this? ANY guidance or assistance is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, March 25th 2011, 9:47pm

I'm sorry but your idea simply won't work, your hole would collapse and you probably wouldn't even be able to move the pipe. Depending on soil quality. when I pound a bar through a 5' walkway.. This can be the most labor intensive part of my job and can be extremely hard.

What you could do though is since it's only 2 heasd, as you say. You don't need more then a 1/2" pipe to supply these head adequately. If The line is straight under the patio slab you could Cut the pipe as the pipe enters the, then stick a 1/2 pipe through the 1" and use the 1" as as sleeve. You May get caught up on a fitting or 2, but spend a few min and you can get them through. Stick a 1/2" Slip cap at the end of the pipe to round out the edges

What I would do first though is dig up this circular opening and confirm this is the end of the run and the pipe doesn't continue through. Also there may be a 'Tee' under the patio that continues your lateral elsewhere ( Yah never know!)

There are other ways too, such as water jetting a new line, or having a company come in and mole/ torpedo a hole for you.

Rate this thread