You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

123jlk

Monday, March 28th 2011, 5:16pm

Combining Rotors with Drip System

The question is wordy, but I wanted to be specific. Thanks in advance for assistance.

New to site and am homeowner trying to correct a problem. I have a rainbird irrigation system. All 24 zones of my controller are in use. I've taken a space in the middle of one zone of my yard to make a small garden (a 20x20ft square of pea gravel that contains four 4x4 ft raised beds). There are 4 rotors in this zone which covers about 90 ft by 60 ft. One rotor is in the middle of this garden area. I am considering changing to microsprayers or drips for these small beds for better coverage and to avoid damaging taller plants.

My problem is I cannot add a zone. I think I need to have both rotors and drips or microsprays on this one zone...I know from reading other posts that this is not ideal; but it seems the best option to me (I have been running this zone 35-45 min). What chance do I have of this working. I have seen the rainbird 1800 retro sprayhead. But I think that would only be enough for one bed - it only has a 6 port manifold. Could I split my flex tubing (that comes off my pvc to feed that rotor) to 4 seperate flex tubings to feed 4 of these sprayheads (one for each bed)? Could I T into my 1/2 in pvc to add more of these heads for drips? One of the 4 rotors in this zone isn't necessary...so I could cap it if pressure for the 2 remaining rotors and 4 drip emitters is an issue.

Thanks again for considering my situation. Please be specific in what I'd need to buy/use.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 8:28am

It might make more sense to modify adjacent zones, and have them pick up the coverage that you would lose by dedicating one zone entirely to drip irrigation.

123jlk

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 12:22pm

Thanks wet_boots. I'm sure that's what I'll eventually do, but it will be so much simpler to convert that one head to a drip that I think I'll try that first.

I do appreciate your information.

Rate this thread