You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rnakawat

Saturday, September 6th 2003, 8:38pm

Backflow advice for sloping landscape

My existing sprinkler system has valves with built in anti-siphon values. (AVB's?) My house is on a hill, were the backyard is at the highest point and the front yard is at the lowest point. The valves are located on the side of the house. (IE, not at the highest point of my yard.) I notice that when some of the valves turn off, water leaks from the anti-siphon cap.

My first question is this normal behavior? (My assumption is no.)

How should I fix this problem? (assuming that it is a problem.) Moving the valves to the highest point of my yard would be difficult. Can I install a double check value or something else before the valves?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 4:06am

When antisiphon valves are used it is very important to install them out of the way....12-16" above the highest sprinkler head....soo if they are not 12-16" above the hihest slope you wont be getting very well performance....to fix the backflow problem...you can install a Double Check valve before the valves, and leave the antisiphon...of install a double check valve, and convert the anti-siphon valves to inline valves..... (irritrol 2400T) Does the water leak out of all the valves?
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

rnakawat

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 9:17pm

>Does the water leak out of all the valves?

It leaks out of 3 of the 5 valves. Two appear to be fine.

I'm also thinking of installing a pressure regulator. Would the proper order be the Pressure Regulator, then the double check valve or visa versa.

Thanks.

Ryan

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, September 8th 2003, 10:12am

I believe it is the double check then the pressure regulator......the backflow should be first before anything....what is your pressure that you need a regulator? You can also get a pressure regulating double check found at sprinklerwarehouse. [8D]
Thanks
Ray

rnakawat

Monday, September 8th 2003, 10:38am

I don't know if I'm measuring the pressure correctly, but it's 120 PSI. I have an outside hose outlet that's part of the same line the valves are on. The reading from that outlet is 120 PSI. The outlet uses the same diameter piping as the rest of the line. It's 3/4 inch PVC.

Ryan

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, September 8th 2003, 4:12pm

run by me againt he heads and the amount on the zones, and the nozzle sizes and then well adjust from there
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread