You are not logged in.

Friday, April 15th 2011, 8:50am

System starting and stopping continuously

I have an irrigation system hooked up to our city water - reclaimed water....so no pumps on my property.

My system will turn on, however the heads continuously lose and gain pressure over and over. This can occur anywhere from 1-2 minutes, to every few seconds. They will gain pressure and start, then it's like the pressure ceases and the heads retract back to the ground, only to pop back up within a few seconds. I only have 1 zone for my property and nothing is programmed into my controller yet, this happens during manual use.

I don't even know where to start looking to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thank you. :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 15th 2011, 9:02am

What happens if you open the zone valve manually, without using the controller? I suspect some blockage in the zone valve.

mrfixit

Friday, April 15th 2011, 12:32pm

How are you turning the valves on manually?

Friday, April 15th 2011, 2:49pm

Thanks for the replies. I havent yet found my box in the ground. I know approx. where it's located, but havent had time to dig for it yet to check the meter or valve. Just wasnt sure what to check for.

To turn on the system currently, I am just pushing manual on the controller, entering the time I want them on and hitting enter. I cant recall the brand of my controller right now.

I haven't been able to tell of any soggy areas in the ground and all the heads spray at 100% until they stop and then start again, so I wouldn't think it would be a leak, but I'm not expert in sprinklers either.

Please keep the advice coming. I'm not sure how to open the valve manually unless its in the box in the ground, but any further advice, opinions or instructions would be appreciated. Thanks!

bmarks

Unregistered

Monday, April 18th 2011, 3:10pm

same problem help

Thanks for the replies. I havent yet found my box in the ground. I know approx. where it's located, but havent had time to dig for it yet to check the meter or valve. Just wasnt sure what to check for.

To turn on the system currently, I am just pushing manual on the controller, entering the time I want them on and hitting enter. I cant recall the brand of my controller right now.

I haven't been able to tell of any soggy areas in the ground and all the heads spray at 100% until they stop and then start again, so I wouldn't think it would be a leak, but I'm not expert in sprinklers either.

Please keep the advice coming. I'm not sure how to open the valve manually unless its in the box in the ground, but any further advice, opinions or instructions would be appreciated. Thanks!

bmarks

Unregistered

Monday, April 18th 2011, 3:17pm

same problem

i have a rain bird system with 7 zones. when system is running zones 1,2,5,6 and 7 will pulse out water from the heads. when i open the inground boxes and touch the solenoids they are also pulsing. If i manually open the solenoids they will spray just fine but the soleniod will still be pulsing.any ideas. Maybe bad solenoids or bad controler or well i dont know. I need help.

mrfixit

Monday, April 18th 2011, 3:21pm

Your controller wouldn't happen to be RainDial would it? I've seen that controller do this. The solenoids pulsed on off on off on off on off but the sprinklers still worked. I couldn't talk the guy into a new controller. As far as I know it's still in service.

P.S. If it's the controller please replace it. The pulsing will eventually break something.