You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rgt03

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 12:49pm

Too much water pressure/ water flow?

Hi all, just found this forum and am new to sprinkler systems. So basically i was doing some sprinkler repair in my new house. I had a busted water line under the sidewalk but when i dug up the pipe i noticed that teh typical 1" line that feeds my yards was reduced to a 3/4" line before the main sprinkler valves. I replaced the assembly with a 1" line but now i noticed that certain zones will just automatically begin spraying as soon i turn the main valves back on. I am guessing that whoever installed this system before was using the 3/4" line a flow reducer or a pressure reducer. Do you think that is possible? I guess i have to install a 3/4" reduction in the line again. The other thing i noticed was that when the sprinkler system is turned on some of my rainbird sprinklers will not rotate back to start position. I think these were working before and i am guessing that the higher water flow or water pressure is affecting them. Is this possible?

thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 1:14pm

Always suspect operator error first. If the system was operating correctly before you cut the supply plumbing, thrn maybe you weren't so very tidy, and there is now dirt and debris to be cleaned out of valves and/or heads.

-

To answer the question of whether a smaller-diameter section of pipe is ever used to reduce flow and/or pressure in a sprinkler system, the answer is "No."

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 1:52pm

So you have your main water irrigation supply shut off, and then when you turn it on several of the zones turn on for a few seconds?

1st- turn the valve on slowly, never quickly

2nd- sounds to me like you have a leak in the main line or a weeping valve. Check your water meter leak detector

rgt03

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 3:59pm

Well, i went and created a 3/4" restriction but when i was ready to turn on the main valves again one of the two valves broke (the one closer to the city main). This project is killing me - 3 weeks of continually having to fix something. I have to call someone to change that bad boy out - no way am i going to mess with that one.

I just find it odd that even with the system controller off the sprinklers started spraying as soon as i turned on the main valve. Too bad the darn thing is broke now because now i dont know if my changes will fix the prob.

rgt03

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 4:02pm

Always suspect operator error first. If the system was operating correctly before you cut the supply plumbing, thrn maybe you weren't so very tidy, and there is now dirt and debris to be cleaned out of valves and/or heads.

-

To answer the question of whether a smaller-diameter section of pipe is ever used to reduce flow and/or pressure in a sprinkler system, the answer is "No."

i flushed out the line as best as i could to eliminate any debris - i doubt its debris that causing the rainbirds to stop functioning properly. I went on their website and they say that over pressure in the lines can cause the impact sprinkler head to not reset.

rgt03

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 4:03pm

So you have your main water irrigation supply shut off, and then when you turn it on several of the zones turn on for a few seconds?

1st- turn the valve on slowly, never quickly

2nd- sounds to me like you have a leak in the main line or a weeping valve. Check your water meter leak detector

They just keep spraying - not just for a few seconds even when the controller is turned off. As soon as the main valve was opened they rose up out of the ground and just started spraying with almost full pressure.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 4:53pm

oh.

Well if it didn't do this before the break.. then it's debris damaging the valve

25yearsexp

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 11:15am

pressure reducer

oh.

Well if it didn't do this before the break.. then it's debris damaging the valve

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 9:39pm

what?

Rate this thread