You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dloose

Monday, April 25th 2011, 2:38pm

Threaded male adapter into control valve

I have a bit of a complicated manifold that has one water line in splitting into 2 zones, each with a contol valve. The connections from the 3/4 line in to each valve uses a threaded male 3/4" adapter. The first time I built this, I tightened this adapter into the valve slightly more than hand tight. Unfortunately both valves leak (a couple of drops per minute). Should I use teflon tape on the threads of the adapter and how tight should I make the adapter-valve connection?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2011, 4:57pm

Of course you have to seal the threaded connections on all the pressure plumbing on a sprinkler system.

dloose

Monday, April 25th 2011, 6:22pm

Thanks, do you prefer teflon to a plastic thread pipe joint compound? I have never "sealed" a threaded sprinkler head; do you usually tape these as well?

mrfixit

Monday, April 25th 2011, 9:28pm

ALWAYS use teflon tape with sprinkler valves. Pipe dope can clog up the ports of the valve. I don't know which valve you have but I use between 2 and 6 wraps depending on the valve. I used to use 8 wraps on the Irritrol 2711APR but I'm down to 6. My work doesn't leak. Make sure it's snug.

Rate this thread