You are not logged in.

harveye3

Starting Member

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 11:15pm

automatic valve comes on and then shut down

I have a 4 station irrigation system. Last year everything worked fine. I have just started the system up. 1 line has been a problem. The valve would open up, water would start flowing and then it would just shut off. I thought it could be the valve or timier so I installed a new Toro auto valve and a new Rainbird timing system. Problem persists. My other valves operate fine. This problemative line is used to water shrubs so its a black hose connnected under ground to the valve but the hose sits on top of the raised shrubs.The connection is fine as I dug it up to inspect it. The valve will open on either the timer or manually but then just as quickly shut off. This was happening to the old valve which is why I replaced it. The valves are above ground by 12". The end of the black hose is about 125' away and is probably higher than the valve. Last year this line worked just fine but this year I have had the above problem. What's t he solution> harveye3

mrfixit

Monday, May 9th 2011, 12:58am

Is this a dripline?

If there's a filter it needs cleaning.

mrfixit

Monday, May 9th 2011, 2:07am

Harvey, go ahead and respond here on this post.

This came via email:

Mr. Fixit, Thanks for your reply. The line is a drip line + mini spray heads. The line does not have a filter, The 5/8" black tubing is properly attached to the 3/4" PVC to the valve and I've check the line for leaks and could not find any. harveye3
---------------------

Harvey I'd venture to say that not having a filter is a problem. Those sprays can easily become clogged. You may need to clean or replace all of them. Lots of times when a head isn't working it's the fitting where it connects into the 5/8 tube.

Try this when you think the valve has shut down. Go to the end of the line and open it up. See if the water doesn't come gushing out.

Rate this thread