You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

2Quik

Friday, May 27th 2011, 10:07am

Location of filter system

I am putting in a sprinkler system, i am using 1" poly pip, with 4 zones. So i have a valve box in my back and one in my front yard. My main water line starts in front on the sw corner then to my back yard vales and then to my front yard valves. I ran a 1" poly pip from the beginning of my main water line to my valves in my back yard it's about 75 ft. In what location should i put my filter system, up by where the main line begins or in my back yard where my valves are or up front where the main line begins? If up by my valves in the back yard how far apart should it be from the valve box? How far off the ground should the filter be?

Thanks.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, May 27th 2011, 4:22pm

Why should your filter "be off the ground" at all?

I simply placed my filter inside the same irrigaition box as my backflow preventer. The filter is on the left side of the box, the pipe then makes a U-turn and goes through the backflow preventer on the right side of the box. If you don't have a backflow preventer in a box, you could bury your main shutoff valve and the filter in the same irrigation box.

2Quik

Friday, May 27th 2011, 7:11pm

How would you pit it under ground? You would have to dig a pretty deep whole wouldnt you? How do you flush out the dirt?
Aslo where is the best location for the filter? Can i put my filter at the beginning of my main, then shutoff valve, then quick coupler. Then from there go 75 ft to my manifold valves? Or does the filter have to next to the valves?

1.Main shutoff valve for the whole system
2.filter
3.shutoff valve
4. Quick coupler
5.manifold valves

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 11:13pm

I used a wye filter and had no problem installing it inside a valve box.

To install a valve box, you dig a hole the width and length of the valve box and about 4" deeper than the valve box. Place 4" of gravel in the bottom of the hole (keeps burrowing animals from digging into your box, and is a good medium to position the box) and place the box on top of the gravel. Make sure you either close the side holes or place more gravel around them to again keep animals out. Then finish burrying the box so that the lid is at ground level. The pipes can either come through the side holes, you can cut more holes yourself, or the pipe can come up through the gravel into the box.

In my case, PVC pipe came up out of the gravel in one corner, turned 90 degrees and into the wye filter, with the filter element pointing to the center of the box to give me room to remove the filter element, then a 180 degree turn into a backflow preventer, then 90 back down into the gravel. Using a standard rectanguler box, I have room to serivce both the wye filter and the backflow preventer.

2Quik

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 11:15am

Interesting i didnt know you could use the wye filters for you main irriagation system.

How far can my filter be from my valves? Can my filter be by my main water line connection, then run 75 to my back yard valve ir does the filter have to be right next tomy back yard valve? Please answer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 3:16pm

If you are on city water, a filter is not very important, and you may never have need to clean or service it.

2Quik

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 5:29pm

I have irrigation water not city water.

I just need to know if i can install my filter about 75 ft way from my first valve?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 6:07pm

Sorry if I missed your other posts . What type of irrigation water are you refering to?

Reclaimed? Well, lake, river,canel, rain water? Is the city supplying you the water or no?

Just keep it simple and put it close to your main shut off, if not it doesn't really matter where you put it as long as it's prior to any Tee's in the main line. Unless you want a second filter.