You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ray

Unregistered

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 6:32pm

Pump won't shut off

My system uses a dedicated well, 8 zones, and a RainBird digital controller. I started the system manually and it proceeded through all zones as expected. But the pump remains on when the program is finished. I have not noted any place where water is collecting. Is it possible that the pump start relay is bad? What other items should I look at?

Any help is appreciated.

lagerandale

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 10:04pm

Look at your controller. If you have time programmed in for zones 9,10,11 etc. your pump will stay on. "Jump" wires from your last active zone through all remaining ports in timer to avoid this problem in the future. A small programming error can cause a lot of damage when dealing with a pump start relay.

Ray

Unregistered

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 10:21pm

Good point. However, the pump runs even when the controller is turned off. And there are 8 zones and a controller with a maximum of 8 zones. This is a system that had run well for years until recently.

Other ideas?

lagerandale

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 11:24am

Have you tried turning the controller off during a program? Does it shut the pump off? If it doesn't, try turning the power off to the timer. Once you turn the power off to the timer if it then shuts the pump off, it probably is a timer issue and not a relay issue. Im thinking that if the relay turns the pump on then its probably not the relay. I could be wrong on that but give it a try.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 11:43am

The best thing to do here instead of speculating is to electrically diagnose it out

Use a multimeter- check for proper voltage at the controller> Turn zones on/ off and verify that voltage stops at the pump port when it is turned off.
check your relay ( Best to have a remote for this) . Diagnose that 24v is coming in and what ever 120 or 240 going out

is your pump running right now , like 24/7? It's probably fried lol

Ray

Unregistered

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 8:22pm

is your pump running right now , like 24/7? It's probably fried lol

Thankfully, I've been pulling the circuit breaker on this unless I'm actually (manually) watering the yard. :) I'm going to open the relay (Hunter PSR-22) and check for bugs,etc. Or, I may simply replace the damn thing.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 30th 2011, 9:34am

turning off the pump breaker and using a multimeter on the controller should have been done a long time ago

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 12:30pm

Craftsman 390.262653 Sprinkler pump won't shut off

I have replaced the pump start relay & the controller but pump continues to run though the stations are shut off. I have to shut off the power to the controller or the pump continues to run.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 1:16pm

Why did you replace the pump and relay without electrically testing everything out.

Get a technician in there.. and test everything out.

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 9:07pm

Didn't replace the pump.