You are not logged in.

Tom from VA

Unregistered

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 2:11pm

How to find underground pipe

I want to add one more head on a line, however I do not know where the line runs. The current line has rotor heads on 3 sides of a lawn ...... and I want to add a sprayer in a corner ........ Any suggestions on how to find where the line runs?

My idea..... take a Sawsall with a long blade and make a long cut in one direction..... turn on line and see where / if water comes up.

Other .....less dangerous ..... suggestions welcome

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 3:13pm

You could probably dig in an extension line from an existing head quicker than it would take to find the old line.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 5:01pm

yeah, just go to the sprinkler head that's nearest to the corner, dig that up and find the main piping of that zone, branch off there and extend the line out.

Tom from VA

Unregistered

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 6:44pm

yes "but"

It is 20 - 30 ft between the heads ..... was hoping to find the point between the two heads .......

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 6:51pm

Piece o' cake - start digging

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, May 30th 2011, 6:07pm

RE: How to find underground pipe

My idea..... take a Sawsall with a long blade and make a long cut in one direction..... turn on line and see where / if water comes up.

Two problems I see with that idea. If the lines were done "properly", they should be 10"-12" deep, so even a long blade might miss. But telecommunication lines (cable, telephone, etc) from the junction box to your house (or neighbor's house) is likely only 6" deep (if that). If one of those are in the way, you are sure to cut through it.

Rate this thread