You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cmarcus

Unregistered

Monday, June 20th 2011, 9:35pm

Help with odd wiring issue

Hello Everyone,

Great forum! I've got a bit of an odd one here.

I was running my sprinklers and everything was working fine, then suddenly poof the water shut off and the heads retracted. I went to the timer and it was still calling for water. I checked the voltage on to the zone that's currently on and got a 26VAC. Tried having the timer fire other zones, no sucess.

Here's where it gets a bit odd for me. I check the other zones that are not currently being called, and I'm seeing 26VAC to each of them as well. I pull the power to the timer and begin continuity checks, no shorts from common to any zone. I pull the wires to all four zones from the timer and check them against each other for continuity. I was a bit supprised to find contunity (~56 ohms) between each of the four zones.

Before I begin digging up the back yard, I wanted to see if anyone could explain if I've misunderstood or overlooked something in my troubleshooting.

Note: around 2 years ago I did rewire the valves for a similar problem, and it ended up being a broken common wire. However this time is different because I'm not sure how I could be seeing continuity between each of the four wires that go to four different solenoids.

Any help would be appreciated! Feel free to e-mail.

-Chris (cmarcus1979@charter.net)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 8:32am

Of course there is continuity between the various output terminals of a controller, at least those connected to valves. The resistance readings would show two solenoids in series. Output to solenoid to common to solenoid to output.

Rate this thread