You are not logged in.

maa

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 1:12pm

Can't winterize sprinklers because of valve.

When I hook up my compressor to the water pipe, turn on the sprinklers and turn on the air, the air vents out of a valve proximal to the compressor hook up. How can I turn this off to blow out the sprinklers? The valve is an Irritrol 2713APR (http://www.irritrolsystems.com/valves/2700ele.html).

Thanks.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 4:26pm

all of the air comes out...and none goes through the lines?
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

maa

Sunday, October 5th 2003, 6:24pm

Thats right, I can hear (and feel) the air hissing out of what I believe is called the bonnet (the thing on top on the other side from the solenoid). No water or air comes out of the zone that is turned on. The sprinkler heads don't pop up.

Is this some sort of pressure/anti siphon release? Is this a valve that can be or needs to be manually turned off?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 4:10am

The r-713 model valve is an anti siphon electric valve....sounds like the poppet in the anti siphon side isn't seating into the top of the valve, allowing air to go down the pipe....

I haven't ever winterized....but, if the poppet will seal water when it runs, it should seal air too! Perhaps the poppet is being blown down instead of up, causing this problem...those poppets are very small and light.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 5:39am

You might have to play around with the inside of the valve.....air and water are completly different elements....you will notice when you winterize the rotors spin sooo fast around their arc....because air and water have different properties...water is something with weight and mass allowing to push up the bonnet...air can flow around.......play around with the inside of the valve...doe every valve do this?
Thanks
Ray

maa

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 5:54pm

Well, I don't think you're supposed to be able to get into the valve. At least not on the left side (in the picture linked above). I did manage to pop the top off but I don't think it was designed for that. I'll try screwing around with it and see what I can figure out.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 8th 2003, 4:51am

It screws off like a jar top...leftie loosie rightie tightie......sometimes it is quite tight due to expansion and contraction of the plastics. If you broke off the top and left the threaded part, you will need a new one....they probably sell rebuild kits here at the spwarehouse.....
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 9th 2003, 4:29pm

Yea....let me get this straight? No air is passing the valve? is it open? some air should pass through
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread