You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lorricooper

Starting Member

Friday, June 24th 2011, 2:37pm

Hunter Solar Sync versus soil sensors

Hello! I am in the process of getting an irrigation system installed here in Central Texas. During a few conversations with my installer, he mentioned that it was more worth getting soil sensors than a solar sync to regulate the system. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter - thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 24th 2011, 6:15pm

the soil is where the action is - that being said, soil moisture sensors are more complex than the above-ground sensors

Matt Dildy

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 11:04pm

soil senors have been around for decades but have NEVER been reliable. with all the new water conserving measures taking hold in texas soil sensors have been revamped and pushed hard by vendors. the technology is still very unreliable dispite advances. i agree it would be great if we could measure soil moisture onsite but i just dont trust them yet....yet. the Hunter Solar-Sync will be your best option, i have installed quite a few of these without issue. is it a full on weather station? no but it is a good intermediate for homeowners on a budget.

13yrs in industry, 11 of which licensed in the state of tx #7717 and very anti-soil sensor. do have to give your contractor credit for giving you water saving options.....wish more of them did.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, December 23rd 2011, 7:24am

Concur with Matt Dildy. I was just at some continuing education classes and no body even mentioned them. There was an irrigation expo where vendors set up shop and share all of the new technology.

If you do want to save water, look at the Toro O series or precision series nozzles and the Hunter MP rotators. The solar sync is a good option, because from a repair option your issues will be above ground. The moisture sensors can give you headaches down the road and give your system a point of vulnerability. RainBird has a controller and weather station option that is pretty cheap too.

You are the customer, as you discuss with your installer keep in mind most installers are pretty set in their ways, but we are learning all of the time.

Have a great project!
:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: