You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

irar

Monday, July 11th 2011, 5:27pm

Intermittent Low Pressure on Zones - Hunter Controller

I have a problem with zones/circuits intermittently operating with low output - say around 1/10 of normal. The same zone will run fine most of the time, but then I'll find that it only has partially turned on at other times. This is across most of the zones of my system and it is intermittent. Last night I turned on a zone and half way through a 50 minute cycle, the output had decreased to approx 1/10 of normal. I checked the pressure on the well (well only serves the irrigation system) and it was 50-55psi. I then checked voltage on each of the circuits inside the controller while in this fault mode. Many circuits measured at 5mV (which is the off voltage that I have measured) but many measured at 117mV or 325mV. The operating circuit measured at 27V which is the low voltage output from the transformer. According to Hunter troubleshooting, if you have voltage on any other circuit except for the operating circuit, you have a controller problem.

So should I replace the controller or are there other suggestions to troubleshoot the problem?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 11th 2011, 7:31pm

Find and fix the faulty valve.

irar

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 3:33pm

So your bet (Wet Boots) is that somewhere in my 45 values, there is an intermittently defect valve that needs to be located and fixed/replaced. And that the controller is not likely the problem... Correct? I'll start the detective work!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 4:40pm

If all the zones have times where they operate at a very low rate of flow, then you look for something common to all of them. Rather than the controller, look at the well, since it may be running dry.

AutomaticSprinklers

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 8:49pm

The small differences in voltages are not a big concern to me. Is your pump on a pressure switch or a relay? If its a pressure switch it could be reaching pressure and shutting off until it hits the kick back on pressure causing flow to drop off. How big is your yard that you have 45 valves?

Rate this thread