You are not logged in.

jventerprises

Unregistered

Monday, July 18th 2011, 9:48pm

Do I have to bury inline valves?

I have to replace a manifold of 3 valves and 1 master valve. It is currently buried in a box behind a large bush against the house foundation. No room to work at all!

My question is do I have to bury the valves when I replace them? It is a royal PIA to work in that hole. I could keep the valves sitting on the ground (on a bed of gravel) and place a decorative box on top. It would make maintenance so much easier..

jventerprises

Unregistered

Monday, July 18th 2011, 9:51pm

Oh, there is more

I live in New England. I know somebody is going to tell me the box helps protect against freezing, but my frost line is 42" and the valve is not going that deep. I don't buy the freezing argument.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 11:03pm

Sure. Inline valves can go above ground. They'll still work the same way. The box underground is just to make it look better. Although, animals may start chewing at your control wires.

They make antisiphon valves too, meant for above ground installation. They have to be 6"-12" though above the highest sprinkler to operate correctly though.

If you use inline valves (above or below ground :whistling: ) you still need a PVB or backflow preventer.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 12:22am

And I don't buy 42" as an avgerage freeze level in england

Put em above ground, do what ever you want with them

At least shut the system down and drian them/ blow them out during the winter season

jventerprises

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 9:19am

I am in New England, not England. And the 42" number is what our local code says. I have never actually verified that the ground freezes that deep!

Also, its funny somebody was worried about critters eating the wires. Today I have mice living in all my control valve boxes. They chew through the cover and make a home in there! What a mess!

And I do blow the system out every year.

Thanks for the help

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:08am

Only reason I worry about the animals chewing on the wires is because they have here many times.

-A rabbit chewed threw an extension cord for Chistmas.

-Mole chewed on control valve wire the other day. Luckily it was just the outer jacket.

-My cat chewed on my speaker wire for the stereo system.

-Squirrel chewed fountain cord.

Luckily no animal was hurt in any of the processes. :rolleyes:

I would definatly try to get the animals/nest out of the box. Seal the holes with that "Great Stuff" foam, and put a repellent or something in. They'll start messing things up in there, and chewing threw the poly pipe (if you have that)

Edit: I forgot your putting the valves above ground ;)
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Rate this thread