You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 11:20am

Toro 570 4 inch pop up body stuck in up position

Hi everyone.

For some reason one of my 4 inch pop up heads won't go all the way down when the zone turns off. Really no problem as it's in a flower bed against a wall. But still need to fix it. Any ideas?

Btw I changed a head on this last week while the water was on. Created a big puddle.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 12:24pm

There might be just some dirt in there. Unscrew the top and flush the line out, and clean the riser with some water while gently pushing the seal cap up/down. If there is any debris in there, this will get it out. While your at it, you can clean the filer too.

If this doesn't work, then the best bet is to just replace the sprinkler as there cheap enough. Sometime dirt will ruin the riser with scrapes and rough areas, and make it stick constantly.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 12:32pm

Any dirt at all gums things up - pros just change heads

There are some sites where all the (not many of them) 570 popups get changed out at one time, because they will all eventually fail to fully retract.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 12:55pm

Thank you. I'll see what happens when I clean it. Interesting that it get gets stuck since that spring is so hard to pull up when you need to pull it up.

Assuming the body is bad what brand spray body and heads are the "best" for homeowners?

mike1059

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 8:39pm

toro 570 vs rain bird 1800

My personal preference is the rain bird 1800 series. Although all pop-up heads can develop sticking problems, another problem I have found with the 570 is it tends to turn when it rises so is constantly out of adjustment.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Friday, July 29th 2011, 10:20am

I blame my kids when the heads go out of position. I'll check out the Rain Birds. Thanks

turfdoctor

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 8:09pm

Toro 570 4 inch pop up body stuck in up position

The wiper seal can sometimes be cleaned where soil accumulates in the groove at the top and inside the bore where the riser passes through the seal. Use a thin knife blade and carefully clear the accumulated soil from both areas under a stream of warm water. Worked for me.

Rate this thread