You are not logged in.

Friday, July 29th 2011, 1:20am

intermittent pressure drop

Greetings,
I have a valve at the top of a riser that drives 5 impact sprinklers. I have been renting this place for 5 years and last year noticed that when the system called the solenoid on this particular line, it would operate fully only 1 in 2-3 times. SO I replaced the valve. It really hasn't helped and if anything, this years is fully starting 1 in 5-6 times. I get the same result manually operating the valve. WHat I mean is that it's like my daughter is taking a shower and there isn't enough flow for the sprinklers to do more than pop partly up and drible. If I restart a few times, at some point it will run ok. Could this be debris in a line? Is it possible that I replaced a perfectly good valve with another? Or perhaps I just got a lemon. The valve sits at top of several right angles but the first couple of years it worked fine. I'm baffled. So here I am. WHat do ya'll think? ?(

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, July 29th 2011, 9:49am

More then likely the zone has a pipe break. Let the zone run for a while and walk around to see if you see anything

If not the next step is to cap all the heads to help force the leak to surface

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 1:21am

Here's why I'm not so sure it's a break, although it certainly could be: today on the third try at operating the valve, I got a nice steady operation of all the sprinklers at a comparable flow. You do have be thinking of a possible separation perhaps right below the valve where it makes a right angle to go to the first sprinkler...... I'm going to try your suggestion. AT one point I was thinking of a bad spot of insulation and current was leaking enough to not allow the solenoid to operate completely, even when I manually operate the valve. Reading here I learned that the solenoid simply initiates the valve operation. It was suggested that there could be a good sized piece of debris in the line before the first sprinkler too but I think it would have made its way down the line by now. The more I think about a break, the more likely it sounds. Thanks!

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 10:31am

are you on city water or a well/pump?

If on city , cap you heads and check your water meter for flow (confirm if your meter is cubic feet or gallons)

Factoring some water loss on loose fittings, you should only be loosing less then 1 gpm
If all the heads are capped and your getting some crazy amount like 15 gpm.. Then you have a pipe break