You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

raider32

Starting Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 11:37am

new system not working on timer?

I have a brand new pump, relay and timer that was installed about a week ago. The problem is that when the system is running on it's set schedule, the water pressure is almost nothing. The system is not pumping out much if any water.

However, when I turn the system on "manually" through the RainBird timer, the system works beautifully with full power. My sprinkler guy is boggled and so am I. Any advice?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 12:56pm

Sounds like the well is running dry. Turn on one zone manually, and see how many hours it can run.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 6:54pm

Yah it does. If your looking at your system after its been running a while, on an automatic program. As compared to walking up, and manually turning it on,when its been off for hours.Your well has recovered.
example: Your water table is 22',when you see it after it has been on for 2 hours,the water table has dropped. When you go out at some random time after the well has been sitting,off,for a while. The water table is back up where it usually is. You should try to manually bleed on a valve,and let it run for a while. or ideally,shut the clock off during a cycle when it is looking crappy,and then try opening a valve,if you are running dry,it will not look good,just like it doesnt when its running a program.
Its not the end of the world if you need recovery time,it sux ya. I just went to a house a couple weeks ago. It does the same exact thing that yours is doing. Brand new goulds submersible. thats probably why too, hes got a giant pump,when its been off a while,then you turn it on,its absolutely cranking, but it also takes about 5 minutes to suck the water table down X amount of ft. The easy solution,is delays between stations,it allows the pump to recover. Some pumps get so bad you need 4 start times,10 minutes rest between every zone,and every zone running a little more than a quarter of a normal run time x4. but thats what needs to be done,short of going deeper. good luck. It could also be somthing else of course, but if your turning the valves on after the pump has been off,its most likely running dry. If it looks crappy from the clock,then you shut the clock off,and go bleed on a valve,and it works great thats totally different,and strange.
Let us know if it looks crappy from the clock,then looks good from the valve,right after you shut the clock off. Then we'll give you some more ideas and things to try.

Rate this thread