You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Duke76

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 12:00pm

Combining Zones ?

I purchased a home with an irrigation system running 12 zones on a fairly small lot. I don't know why it has so many zones, perhaps low city water pressure. When I purchased the home, the previous homeowner told me that he was in the process of coverting to lake water and all I needed to do was finish installing the pump, which I have now done. (And cut and capped the water rom the city.) I have lots of water volume and pressure and would like to reduce the number of zones I am running. I have tested combining zones by simply wiring two valves together. There is still great pressure and coverage.

My question is this. Can I combine zones by wiring multiple valves together ? Will this dammage the controller (Hunter Pro-C), valves, solenoids ?

Thank you for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 3:33pm

too many zones wired together will be seen by the controller as a short circuit (which then shuts off the zone) - three might be the limit

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 8:21pm

Combine the zone wires at the controller. It will save lots of headaches if you ever need to trouble shoot a bad wire or selonoid. I, too, would not exceed three zones. I have jumper wired 4 zones during blow-outs on a Pro-C and it does work, but 3 would be my limit.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 9:21pm

Most controllers have a 1amp fuse.

Most valves have a .33 amp current sudden inrush flow. Going over 3 will push it and probably blow the fuse

Duke76

Wednesday, September 14th 2011, 8:04am

Thank you everyone.