You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 17th 2011, 2:04pm

1" seems quite big

I just completed installing 1" copper from the 3/4" meter. Ran it to outside wall and then converted to 1" pcv. This will run to the valve box. Before I commit to 1" by ordering a 1" PVB and 1" valves and buying 1" PE, just want to make sure bigger is better regarding psi and gpm.

I have 8.5 gpm and 48 psi from the 1" copper I just installed. Small system is going in. Longest run will be 150'. I will be using 9 Hunter MP Rotators and PGV valves with flow control.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 17th 2011, 6:53pm

1" is always better.
distance from the meter to the farthest head. The balance is between how many gallons moving through what diameter pipe, and how long the pipe is. There is friction loss through the pipe and the greater distance and gallons will increase the friction loss. If you only have 48 PSI you should assume you need 40 PSI for the MP rotator. You only have 8 PSI to lose.

Good Luck.
Dan :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 17th 2011, 11:41pm

1" is a professional industry norm

The main purpose for upsizing a pipe is for reduced friction loss and reduced risk of water hammer if designed properly.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 18th 2011, 7:43am

Great. Thank you. I'll order the parts - and wait until April to install.

I have 30 feet of 3/4" PE from last year. Can I use it on my zone closest to the valve box? Maybe 40 feet

I ordered Hunter swing joints - seems better than funny pipe?

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "wsommariva" (Dec 18th 2011, 8:24am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 18th 2011, 12:35pm

perhaps the biggest reason for pros immediately going to one-inch from a 3/4-inch copper pipe in the basement, is that everything is then a one-inch size, be it valve or fitting - in any event, the zone valves should be one-inch, because there are no smaller ones as standard equipment, and their flow controls can be adjusted to match low flow rates

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, December 19th 2011, 10:57am

OK 1" all around then

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, December 19th 2011, 1:00pm

Now I know why I thought PE was so costly - last year I bougt 160 psi! 100 psi is less than half of the 160.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Wednesday, December 28th 2011, 1:07pm

My biggest zone is about 8GPM and I have all 1 inch piping, backflow, and valves until the zones tee off into two 3/4" PE.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, December 28th 2011, 2:08pm

What is your psi? I have extra 3/4" PE I'd like to use up if I can

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 9:58am

Static 51.

Rate this thread